Typically associated with the Kentucky Derby, this cocktail is a refreshing—if divisive—treat for the spring and summer. As far as the bourbon goes, we don’t recommend using anything too expensive unless you’ve got some income that desperately needs disposing, since it tends to get a little washed out by the other flavors. Be sure to find the freshest mint you can and crush the ice yourself for the classic experience.
Mint Julep Ingredients
|Handful fresh mint|
|2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey|
|1 oz simple syrup (adjust to taste)|
How to make a Mint Julep
- Crush the ice in a canvas bag or cloth napkin using a muddler or mallet.
- In the bottom of a silver or pewter julep cup (a highball glass will work in a pinch), muddle a few sprigs of mint along with the simple syrup.
- Fill the cup with crushed ice.
- Add the bourbon and let chill for a few minutes.
- Top off the cup with more ice and garnish with a large sprig of mint.