This is the true New Orleans original. Antoine Peychaud (a pharmicist) had invented his own bitters for the cure of ailments and one day someone decided to make it a bit less medicinal. It's critical for the true New Orleans Original to have the Peychauds, Sazerac, and Herbsaint all of which were born in and are made near New Orleans.
Real New Orleans Sazerac Ingredients
|1 tsp sugar|
|1 tsp water|
|3 dashes Peychaud bitters|
|2 oz Sazerac rye bourbon whiskey|
How to make a Real New Orleans Sazerac
- Take two old-fashioned glasses. Chill one with crushed ice.
- In the other: muddle the sugar cube, water, and bitters.
- Add the bourbon (or brandy if you want another 1850's version) and stir.
- Dump the ice from the first glass and pour enough of the Herbsaint to coat the inside of the glass (a wash).
- Swirl it around, then dump the rest.
- Add new ice and the contents of the second glass.
- Finally twist a lemon peel over it, but don't add it to the drink.