It’s the perfect drink for the cockpit after a day’s sail. It’s a no-fuss, minimalist thirst-quencher of a cocktail, and whereas the other superb sailor’s drink evokes images of a rough passage at sea, I prefer the vision of a soothing dusk and the knowledge that the next day’s sail will be a delight.
The winning entry on Sailing World Magazine’s Ultimate Boat Drink Contest, presented by Regatta Ginger Beer.
Submitted by Mark Gillespie.
|1.5 Tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice|
|Ice - crushed|
|2 oz white/light rum|
|4 oz Regatta Ginger Beer|
|Ice cubes (Crushed or cubes)|
|Purple basil sprigs & lemon wedge for garnish|
Preparation: How to make a Red Sky at Night
- In a sturdy lowball glass, add purple basil leaves, lemon juice and a layer of crushed ice.
- Muddle in glass until leaves are crushed and liquid has a reddish tint. Add rum and stir of 30 seconds.
- Add Regatta Ginger Beer. Garnish.
- Flavor intensifies over the next few minutes.
- Mixologist's Note: Purple basil is key. Green basil will not work as a substitute.