For this first drink I took homemade rhubarb syrup, vodka, lemon, basil and bitters and created the most delicious summertime drink. It’s slightly sweet and has a light basil flavor. Who knew basil and rhubarb were such good friends? This drink would also be perfect with gin if you are a fan. Credit: Nutmeg Nanny
Rhubarb Basil Smash Ingredients
|6 basil leaves|
|1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice|
|1 ounce rhubarb syrup|
|1-1/2 ounce vodka|
|3 dashes Fee Brothers rhubarb bitters|
|For rhubarb syrup:|
|4 cups chopped rhubarb|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 cup water|
How to make a Rhubarb Basil Smash
- For cocktail:
- In a cocktail shaker add basil leaves, lemon juice and rhubarb syrup. Gently muddle to bruise basil. You do not want to rip the basil apart in the shaker. Just gently release the delicious basil flavor.
- Add in ice and vodka. Add shaker lid and shake until cold.
- Pour into short cocktail glass and add more ice if needed. Add rhubarb bitters and give a quick stir.
- For rhubarb syrup:
- Add all ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook till thick, about 20 minutes.
- Pour through a fine strainer, gently pushing the fruit to extract all the juice. I like to press a little firmer on my fruit so my syrup is more cloudy because more solids make it into my syrup. If you want a clearer syrup make sure to not press any of the solids through the strainer. Store refrigerated in a jar.