1. A tool used to strain cocktails out of a cocktail shaker or mixing glass into the serving glass. Cocktail strainers are typically broken into three categories:
  • Hawthorne strainers, which are used for straining shaken cocktails as the size of the opening can be adjusted
  • Julep strainers, which are typically used for straining stirred cocktails
  • mesh strainers, which are used when double-straining to remove small shards of ice or pulp